Friday, December 18, 2009

33 Weeks

Only 7 weeks left to go. Maybe.

I went to the doctor on Wednesday and found out that from here on out I will have weekly non-stress tests because of the gestational diabetes. No big deal...it was kind of cool to see how her heartbeat elevated every time she moved on the little chart.

I'm supposed to go see a perinatologist for a new ultrasound to check her growth, and depending what they say about that and my blood sugar levels, we'll decide if I need to go on insulin and if I need to be induced before my due date. As of right now I will not be allowed to go past my due date - he has it in mind to induce me no later than Feb 1.

I'm still waiting to hear from the perinatologist about when they can get me in. There has been a paperwork snaffu that I've been trying to work out since Wednesday...hopefully I won't fall through anymore cracks and I'll have an appointment set up by Monday.

Also, while I was at the doctor, I talked to him about some issues I have been having with out of control irritability, anger and depression, notably since I was diagnosed with the diabetes. At first he tried to blow me off, which really frustrated me, because it took a lot for me to even bring it up. I almost didn't because I was afraid he wouldn't take me seriously. And I think that's part of the reason that a lot of women don't get the help they need...they're afraid the doctor will blow them off and tell them it's normal, when they know that it isn't. I finally convinced him that being sad all the time, not wanting to leave the house, see anyone, or eat, and having uncontrollable anger for no apparent reason, was not okay for me. And that I didn't want to wait until a couple of weeks after the baby is born, and we're having bonding issues, to deal with it as PPD.

Thankfully Matt was there with me. Finally the doctor turned to Matt and asked him how bad it was, really. And poor Matt, who has been awesome lately and who hasn't said a word to me about my attitude, told him that yes, it really was bad.

I figured he was going to refer me to a therapist or something, which would have been fine, but he actually prescribed me a low dose of Zoloft. I took one yesterday before work...and once the sleepiness wore off (holy cow) I felt a lot better...not goofy... I felt like I did at the beginning of my pregnancy. I realized I had been clenching my jaw for months.

I haven't taken one today, because I realized that I need to take them before bed if I want to get anything accomplished. Also, the doctor suggested I take them when I'm having a bad day, instead of taking them all the time.

$10 for a 30 day prescription is way cheaper than beer.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you only have 7 weeks left. It seems like yesterday that you found out. I hope you are allowed to eat a normal meal soon!

    I'm glad to hear that the anger thing is worked out. I'm having a similar time dealing with my pain. I had my first tantrum yesterday and was quite embarrassed.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clicked over here from Mommy Wants Vodka, and quickly figured out you're in Cleveland. I'm over in Cleveland Heights, pregnancy journey over with (as of eight months ago). But thought I'd say hello to a fellow Clevelander, what with the Browns being on a winning streak and all. Good luck with the home stretch, and I am SO SORRY you have to deal with gestational diabetes over the holidays. That is total crap! But it will be over soon :)

    ReplyDelete