Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm not allowed to eat.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

I know it's common.

I have a happy baby. She's sweet and good. She often amuses herself for upwards of an hour while I do things like wash bottles, do laundry, fold clothes, etc.

But the very SECOND I try to eat something, she immediately needs to be held, changed, burped, looked at, SOMETHING.

I don't get it.

I've tried eating in the other room, really fast, over the sink, with the water running, to try to make her think I'm washing dishes.

No good. She KNOWS.

I don't know how she does it. Whatever gene made my mom able to know I was making faces at my brother in a completely different part of the house must have skipped a generation and gone straight to her.

So I eat a lot of cereal. Minimal preparation time, and if I let the baby fuss for as long as it takes me to eat a bowl of cereal, (35 seconds,) that's not so bad.

If she sleeps in or takes a morning nap I sometimes get to have toaster waffles.

Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through Shauna Glenn comments.

    I empathize with you here. The eating ritual at my house is this: Husband eats alone upstairs, then when he is done he takes the baby long enough for me and our other kids to eat. If we don't do that, the baby is a nightmare while we eat, screaming and wanting attention and grabbing at our food.

    At least cereal comes in a lot of varieties!

    ReplyDelete